How to secure your Twitter account
When you think of security on the internet, you immediately think of your bank accounts, your mailboxes but rarely your social accounts. And yet the damage caused by hackers can have very serious consequences. This guide explains how to strengthen and how to secure your twitter account by activating double authentication.
Change your Twitter account password
Like any computer system, your Twitter account is not immune to intrusion or attack by a hacker. Imagine what could happen to you if someone with malicious intent took control of your Twitter account.
It could send private messages or post tweets that could damage your reputation. This would affect your personal and professional life. To avoid disappointment, it is better to take precautions.
The most important thing to do is to change your password regularly. It is the most effective and simplest security measure to implement. But unfortunately few people think about it.
Open the Twitter app
- Log into your account using your credentials
- Tap on your profile picture on the left side of the window
- Select the parameters and confidentiality section
- Tap the account option
- Click on the password section
- Enter your current password
- Then enter your new password
Be very careful when choosing your password. You should never use the same identifier on several websites or web services. Here are some tips for creating a really secure password.
Enable two-factor authentication for Twitter
Protecting your Twitter account with a strong password is very important but not enough. To increase the security of your account, you will also need to activate the dual authentication mode. This device will prevent hackers from changing your Twitter account password without your knowledge.
In concrete terms, this means that each time someone tries to change a security setting on your account, the Twitter social network will send you a verification code by SMS on your phone or on another third-party service.
Open the settings and privacy section of the Twitter application
- Click on the Account section then on security
- Press the two-factor authentication box
- Select the security method of your choice from the list: SMS, authentication application such as Google Authenticator or a physical security key
- In this example, we will check the SMS box
- In the new window, press the start button
- Enter your password to start the configuration
- Then enter your mobile phone number
- Click on the button send the code
- You will receive an SMS on your smartphone. This contains a confirmation code
- Enter the code received in the Twitter application
Once the dual-factor authentication is activated, the social network will generate a backup code so that you can connect to Twitter even without a phone. Remember to write it down and keep it in a safe place.