Qualcomm announces new 5G RAN platforms to drive virtualized networks
Qualcomm has just announced its comprehensive RAN portfolio of 5G infrastructure semiconductor platforms designed for large-scale deployment scenarios, ranging from macro base stations with massive MIMO to micro base stations with compact designs, in order to accelerate the transition of the cellular ecosystem towards virtualized and interoperable radio access networks (RANs), a trend dictated by 5G.
In all, there are three new models: Qualcomm Radio Unit Platform, Qualcomm Distributed Unit Platform, and Qualcomm Distributed Radio Unit Platform. They are the first to offer mobile operators a new generation of converged, open, and virtualized RAN networks.
These new platforms are the world’s first announced solutions, designed specifically to help major mobile operators deploy a new generation of Converged, Open, and Virtualized RAN (vRAN) networks. These platforms are designed to enable infrastructure OEMs to transform public and private wireless networks into a platform for innovation and fully harness the potential of 5G.
Qualcomm and Reliance Jio reach speeds of over 1Gb / s in tests
Qualcomm Technologies and India’s largest operator Jio also announced that they have crossed the 1Gb / s mark with Reliance Jio 5G NR software, leveraging Qualcomm’s 5G RAN platforms. This achievement not only supports Jio’s 5G benchmarks but also signifies the entry of Jio and India into the Gigabit 5G NR product portfolio.
With disaggregated and virtualized 5GNR solutions, Reliance Jio advances the ecosystem of carrier-grade software-based RAN solutions that are designed to enable 5G services and experiences for all of India and beyond.
Qualcomm’s 5G RAN Platform portfolio Key Elements:
- From Macro to Small Cells: The solutions offer scalable support for a wide range of infrastructure categories ranging from macro base stations with massive MIMO to small cells.
- High-Performance RF Modem: Designed for superior radio performance including high power and high capacity operation, Qualcomm’s 5G RAN platforms feature a complete 5G Modem-RF system including baseband, transceiver, front end, and antenna panels.
- Enabling high-performance virtualized products with built-in hardware acceleration: Flexible vRAN architecture with hardware accelerators for modem and front-end processing, designed to enable high-speed, low-latency network processing for superior power efficiency and compact devices.
- Flexible, Scalable, and Interoperable Interfaces: Support of all major 5G functional split options between Distributed Unit (DU) and Radio Unit (RU), to enable RAN disaggregation into modular, standards-based components and interoperable.
- Integrated Sub-6 and mmWave Solution: Simultaneous Sub-6 GHz and mmWave baseband support integrated natively in the distributed unit as well as global support for 5G sub-6 GHz, mmWave, and 4G bands in the radio unit.
Qualcomm 5G RAN Platforms Supported Companies
Qualcomm said it works with leading mobile operators including AT&T, BT / EE, Deutsche Telekom, KDDI CORPORATION, KT, LG Uplus, NTT DOCOMO, Rakuten Mobile, Reliance Jio, SK Telecom, Softbank, TIM, Telefónica, Verizon and Vodafone.
When do Will Qualcomm 5G RAN Platforms work?
Technical samples of the new Qualcomm 5G RAN platforms should be delivered by the first half of 2022 for certain customers of network providers.