Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2022
Do you want to get the Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2022? Do you want to save your files from your computer, smartphone, or tablet in an online service so that you never lose them? Uploading your most important data to an online storage system is a good decision since your computer can fail, your external hard drives can be lost or damaged and you never know when everything will happen to you at once.
What is recommended in these cases? Well, it is recommended to implement the 3-2-1 backup strategy: A 3-2-1 Backup strategy means having at least 3 total copies of all your data, 2 of which are local (in your home) but are located on different media (hard drives, computers, NAS), and have at least 1 external copy (for example in the cloud).
Now the big question is if we can find a free and unlimited cloud storage service … it is not usually the usual thing, but if we can find companies that offer plans with large storage capacity for which you do not have to pay anything. We are going to recommend the best services with free plans so that you can save your most important files online.
10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2022
1. Google Drive (Google One)
It may not surprise you that this service is one of the most popular. It is offered by Google with Gmail, Google Calendar, or Youtube and they give you 15 GB of free online storage. This space is shared between all Google services, and although at first, it may seem like a lot, I, who have been using Gmail since its inception, have covered all the available storage.
To use this service, it is advisable to install ” Backup and Synchronization ” for Windows and macOS on your computer. You can buy more storage online from 1.99 euros/month. Right now Google is promoting the use of Google One very strongly.
The good thing about this online storage service is that you can also access document editing (Doc, Excel, etc.), that the saving is automatic, and that you can open as many accounts as you want (with different e-mails). You can make unlimited backups of your photos and videos for free, with a certain resolution: up to 16 MP and 1080p HD.
The bad thing about it is that you are within the Google ecosystem, which means that your privacy … no longer exists …
2. IDrive Cloud Backup
The good thing about this IDrive Cloud Backup is that we have programs for Mac, Windows, Linux, and smartphones (Android and iOS)… and that we are going to upload the backup to the encrypted cloud. And they have a free plan of up to 5 GB. For an unlimited number of devices, including external hard drives.
Only 5GB? Not bad at all … you can try it and then you can subscribe to their 2TB plan that currently costs $ 52.12 the first year.
The difference with Google Drive or Dropbox is that it is not a file syncing service. It is a cloud storage service. You make a backup of your computer and upload it online. In the previous case, you only make a backup of a certain folder.
It is safe? Of course. Your data is encrypted with military-grade 256-bit AES in both data transfer and storage. When registering, you can choose a private encryption key, known only to you and not stored on their servers.
Your data will be stored in its data centers built to withstand natural disasters and monitored 365 days a year against both physical and network security threats.
- The good thing is that it is a perfect backup program to back up your entire computer in the cloud. Compatible with all systems and available for an unlimited number of devices.
- The downside is that they only offer 5GB for free. Then you have to move to a payment plan.
You may also be using Dropbox on its free plan. It is the perfect solution for secondary storage since it offers a free 2 GB plan in the cloud that will allow you to synchronize your most important files between devices.
Dropbox is not a backup system designed to make a backup of your entire computer, only the Dropbox folder, which is automatically synchronized online with up to 3 devices in its free plan (really few).
Then you have to go to the payment plans to get a good amount of storage: 3 TB for 10 euros a month (and you can transfer files of up to 2 GB).
All Dropbox plans allow you to back up photos on your smartphone, but most people use Dropbox to sync files or easily share files with others. His professional plan is perfect for companies.
- The good thing about Dropbox is that it can be used easily, works without problems, and allows you to synchronize all types of files with up to 3 devices.
- The downside is that they only offer 2GB for free and only up to 3 devices can be synced at a time on their free plan.
- Amazon Drive
Do you want unlimited online storage? You will have to pay for an annual package, although you can gradually increase the storage if you buy an Amazon product such as the Fire tablet (5 GB of additional storage.
It has applications for all types of devices, so it is quite versatile and easy to use.
- The good thing about this storage is that if you are a Prime member you can use it at no extra cost. It does not reduce the quality of the photos. Its price is very reasonable.
- The downside is that if you stop being a Prime member … bye …
- Microsoft OneDrive
Another of the greats that offer us free online storage, Microsoft OneDrive. Your basic account gives us 5 GB of storage. It comes integrated with Windows 10.
It’s going to be short on you in no time, but they do offer reasonable payment plans starting at $ 1.99 / mo for 100GB of storage. Although possibly the best option would be to subscribe to their plans with Office included, which already upload a. little more price.
They also offer the ability to share files online easily. And we all know that his office palpitations are the best in the world.
- The good thing is that it comes integrated with Windows and is very intuitive
- The downside is that they only offer 5GB for free.
- Apple iCloud
You also have to stop at iCloud, Apple’s online storage service. If you have an iPhone, Mac, or iPad you will have 5 GB of free online storage. I already tell you that they last a sigh, especially if you take a lot of photos and videos with your iPhone.
It is perfect if you are in the Apple ecosystem, but if you are outside, it is better to choose one of the other services. How much are your payment plans worth? 50GB: $ 0.99; 200GB: $ 2.99; 2TB: $ 9.99.
You cannot select what to sync at the file level.
- The great thing about iCloud is that it is fully integrated with iOS and macOS. It is perfect for Apple systems.
- The bad thing is that it only offers 5 GB for free and it is only advisable to use this online storage if you are an Apple user.
Mega is one of the most interesting services because they offer 50 GB 20 GB of storage for free. Then you can switch to one of their payment plans: 4.99 euros/month to obtain other types of advantages such as group audio and video conferencing, version control, etc.
And best of all, it offers encryption and encryption so that no one knows what type of files you are uploading. Not even Mega knows (something similar to what happens with iDrive).
It has apps for all systems: Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, and Linux. You can also share files on Google Drive or OneDrive.
- The good thing about it is the large amount of GB they offer and their encryption.
- The downside is that its predecessor, Megaupload, was shut down by the authorities in the past.
Icedrive is another one of the online storage services that I use. One of its most interesting uses is the possibility of installing its mobile app and being able to upload your photos automatically. Offer up to 10GB for free.
You can upload and view PDF and save old versions of your files. It also has programs for Windows, Mac, and Linux, so you can use this service on all your devices. Also, it supports WebDAV, but only on paid plans.
- The good: File versions, mobile photo backup.
- The Bad: Encryption and sharing links aren’t free. Limit bandwidth to 3GB per day.
Internxt is a newly created service with one important point to keep in mind: it offers zero-knowledge encryption, which means that only you see your files.
Subscription plans are cheap and there is always an online offer to sign up. It offers only 2GB of free storage. That is worth it. It has desktop and mobile apps. You can also access their website.
The good: Zero-knowledge encryption, you can share files and plans quite cheap. Simple and minimalist interface.
The bad: the service is very new and still looks like a “beta”. You can find bugs in apps and uploads.
PCloud is another service that you can always find on sale in many online discount portals. They offer up to 10GB of free online storage.
Desktop clients are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Also mobile application. Files and folders can be shared with third parties. Or make backup copies of your Facebook or Instagram photos.
- The good: You can sign up for life-long plans. Its price is good. Good apps and interface.
- The bad: file encryption has to be paid for separately.
What are the advantages of free online storage services?
- The first and most important thing is that you are going to have a backup of the data you have selected.
- The second thing is that many of them offer a good amount of GB of storage for free, and then their pricing plans are really good.
- The third thing is that you can share files online by sending a link to your friends.
- The fourth thing is that in many of these services your files will be encrypted and safe from other people’s eyes.