Here is all the TikTok Vocabulary You Need to Know
The TikTok social network is a real baron in its genre. It is quite simply one of the most visited networks in the world. TikTok easily competes with the giants Instagram or Twitter and even more so with our good old Facebook. With its short videos, which you can watch by “swiping” to infinity. “Challenges” , creator of “memes” , this social network uses a lot of words and expressions that you do not always understand.
So, here is our glossary to help you better understand user terms on TikTok. This article is aimed as much at older people who do not understand the language of their young people. But also to Internet users who encounter this vocabulary on a daily basis and who unfortunately do not understand it. Come on, let’s go.
A real ecosystem with its own language
TikTok, like social networks, is a place where many people around the globe hang out. Around music, common challenges, funny phrases, and above all a common language. TikTok is emerging as an ecosystem in its own right. As were Instagram, Facebook, Twitter… Who doesn’t know what a poke (Facebook) or a story (Instagram) is?
To date, to evolve in a world where TikTok is the leader, it is necessary to tame its vocabulary. Words and expressions that are shared by all, are understandable to users, and a real means of expression in this community. If you’re keen to break into TikTok or understand the intricacies of posted videos, knowing the vocabulary is a must.
Vocabulary on TikTok Words and Definitions in Alphabetical Order
So let’s go to define the vocabulary and expressions seen on TikTok. Note that this list is not exhaustive and certainly does not contain all the words searched. Therefore, we encourage you to leave us in comment other words with their definition OR to comment on a term that you do not understand. We can inform you! Also, be aware that we are only focusing on TikTok vocabulary in this article, not all “young” terms will be referenced.
TikTok Vocabulary: A to D
- ASL: When you go to TikTok, you might be used to seeing the word “ASL”. But you don’t know what that means. In fact, ASL is the contraction of “Age, Gender, Location”. Or “age, sex, and where you live”. This expression is often used on TikTok and other social networks, in discussion groups, or live. In another context, this expression can also mean “in hell”.
- “It’s to kill me”: This expression used on TikTok is the equivalent of “death of laughter (lol)”. It just means that something is very funny, in the same kind of “this is to finish me off”.
- Challenge: A challenge on TikTok is simply a dance or an action to be done on video, often to music used specifically for this challenge. The challenge is thus made by several users, often with the same music, the same dance, etc.
- Discover Page: The Discover Page, the small magnifying glass icon in TikTok, allows you to discover trending sounds, widely used hashtags, trending challenges…
- Duet or Duos: The duets, very popular on TikTok, consist of two videos assembled into one. The two videos, from different users, complement each other: a dialogue taken from a film where each user plays a character, two users doing the same challenge, etc.
Words to know from E to F
- E-Girl or e-Boy: Style between emo, goth, and cyber. An e-boy or an e-girl is a girl or a boy who adopts this style of dress born on TikTok:
- Face Tracking: TikTok mostly works through its effects when you create a video on the social network. face tracking is the most popular TikTok effect. Its principle: when a face is recognized, the camera zooms in directly and follows it. An effect that gave rise to many challenges.
- FYP: FYP is the contraction of For You Page and it is simply the TikTok page entitled “For you”. This is TikTok’s main feed, where all the videos that may interest you automatically scroll through. The FYP is made thanks to a fairly advanced algorithm and based on your viewings.
TikTok Terms: H to M
- Hashtags: A hashtag, like on Instagram, is used to reference videos according to its content, its subject. #FYP, # ForYou, #dog… The hashtag is essential to break through and to get views.
- IB: Inspired By, which is used when a video is made inspired by another video.
- POV: Point of View. POV is used as a way to talk about something from the person’s point of view. It can also refer to a video where we see the point of view of a character or the user as if it were us.
- Memes: A TikTok video meme is a video or voice that everyone can recognize and which is taken up massively. As a result, a meme can create synergies between users. “This idea can take the form of a hyperlink, a video, a website, an image, a hashtag, a recurring character, a GIF, or simply a sentence or a word. This meme can be spread by many people through social networks (for example via neuritis on Facebook, or hashtags on Twitter), blogs, instant messengers, news, and other Internet services.
The TikTok Vocabulary from N to R
- NP: This acronym simply means “No Problem”.
- Ratio: A ratio on TikTok means that one of your comments left on a video has more reactions and replies than likes and likes.
- Renegade: Doing a Renegade is a reference to the most popular dance on TikTok. It all happens over the 15-second intro to rapper K-Camp’s Lottery. Obviously, the songs that are buzzing on TikTok change every day. Thus, the slang of the social network often changes.
Words and expressions from S to W
- Swipe or Swiper: The fact of “swipe” refers to the gesture we make on our phones when we want to change videos on TikTok. When viewing the TikTok feed (or Instagram, etc.), we swipe the screen from bottom to top. “Swiper” refers to this gesture.
- Trend or Trends: A trend is a bit like a “challenge”. This word just means that a concept has become trending on TikTok. Thus, we say that we make a trend when we want to make a TikTok video on a particular challenge.
- W: This single letter means “Win” or “Winner”.
Do you understand TikTok words and phrases a little better now? If you see other vocabulary words to explain or that you don’t understand, tell us in the comments. We will help you with pleasure!