How to Shape a Beard at Home: Step-by-Step Guide
Styling the beard is an essential task for all those who want to incorporate it into their look. However, it is not as easy as it seems, especially for those who have left it for the first time. So if you want to learn how to do it without mistakes, pay attention. Here we explain it step by step guide to Shape a beard according to each area of the face.
Aspects to consider before styling your beard
Before you get down to work, you should take into account several things. The first one is the instruments you will need. Let’s see it:
- An electric razor with different length combs
- A manual razor blade
- Shaving foam
- Hair comb
- Pair of scissors
When you have it all, keep in mind the following tips to outline your beard:
- Do not use the same instruments for the beard and the cheeks. They are different areas that require different care.
- Think in advance about the result you want to achieve. This way you will avoid going over or falling short, which are two very common mistakes.
- You should wash your face before shaving to hydrate the skin and open the pores. Don’t do it the other way around. Once you finish, you will only have to apply a little water to remove the fallen hair.
Step by Step Guide to Shape your Beard
Now, it is time to get down to work to show off a modern and well-groomed beard. This is what you should do in the proper order.
- Preparation for Profiling
You already know what tools you need to trim your beard, so put them on the sink to keep them handy and follow these instructions to get your face ready:
- Washing of the face: Use warm water and specific soap for beards. If you have it very long, it is best to also add a little conditioner.
- Softens hair: Above all, of those areas that you want to outline. To do this, it is best to use the technique of barbers. It consists of dipping a towel in hot water and then tapping it gently on the beard.
- Comb: You will have to wait for the beard to dry first. Combing facial hair should always be done against the grain. This will lift the hair and make the task of delimiting the areas to be outlined more comfortable.
- Delimit the cutting perimeter: Visualize it with your mind first and then trace the lines on the neck and cheeks using shaving cream. Be very clear about the limits so as not to go overboard.
- Outline the Neckline
Each beard is unique; this is mainly because not all people have the same degree of leafiness in their facial hair or the same lines of the face. However, there are ways to make it perfect without difficulty. Let’s see them:
- Start by visualizing a line from ear to ear: It should pass just below the jaw and chin. If you struggle, you can use an easy-to-erase eyeliner pencil.
- Trace the sideburns line: It must be completely vertical and join from the hairline above the ear to the line described in the previous point.
- Round the intersection: Obviously, a beard with a completely straight sideburn does not look good. So, taking advantage of the curved line of the jaw and maxilla, draw a curve at the point where both lines meet.
- Outline the Cheek Line
This line is much simpler. First of all, this is because not all people have the same beard on their cheekbones. But it also influences the density of the hair in the area and personal taste.
For example, many men like to draw a simple line of hair on the lower edge of the jaw and chin, while others prefer to give it more width.
In any case, if you simply want to show off a neat beard, our advice is to draw an imaginary line from the center of the sideburns to the corners of the lips and then round it up a bit.
- It’s Time to Shave
- This is the moment of truth. Keep your concentration to the maximum and use a very sharp and clean razor blade. Only use a razor if you have experience with it:
- Apply the shaving foam according to the contour lines that we explained previously.
- Da past soft with the blade to completely drain zones chin and cheek. Do not go over the marked lines. You have to do it by keeping an angle between 30 and 45º. Clean the blades after each pass so that the accumulation of hair does not hinder your work.
- With a towel, wipe off the soap when you’re done.
- Put on a little aftershave as soon as you finish.
We remind you that shaving with a razor blade should always be done in favor of the growth of facial hair. Doing it against the grain will only irritate your skin and will not offer better results. You must also stretch the area of the skin over which the blade will pass with your fingers so that the blade slides more easily.
- Trim the Beard
You are already finishing. The next step is mainly to even out the length of the facial hair. To do this, the most useful is to use an electric beard trimmer, although you can use simple scissors. Of course, it is much more complicated.
Use a large comb for large areas such as the cheeks . Then use smaller ones for sideburns, chin, and mustache. This way you can work more comfortably and achieve much more precise results.
- Trim the Mustache
This step is only essential if you want your mustache to stand out from the rest of your beard. That is to say, that your hair has a better length or that it draws some original shape.
In this case, we recommend that you always trim with small scissors. It is advisable that you comb it down first and that you also remove the hair from the nose.
You have finished shaping your beard! Profiling the beard is a simple process, especially when you have already done it a couple of times and you have gotten the hang of it.
The only thing to consider is that you will have to dedicate a little time to make it perfect. In addition, we also recommend that you buy quality instruments and adjust their use depending on whether you have a long, short, or three-day beard. Each style has its own needs.
So you already know. You follow the instructions, tips, and tricks to outline the beard that we have just given you here and you can be sure that it will look perfect on any occasion. You will also better control its growth and it will be easier for you to maintain it with a neat aesthetic and to your liking.